Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dear Advanced Art Class

I finished the first of two drawings for my Advanced art class. It makes me happy, so you can see it, and then the letter I wrote to the class itself, not my peers. I'm a nut case, but you know, at least I can admit it.

(Click for larger View)
My dearest Advanced Studies in Art,
You no longer scare me. I fear not any sort of pompous or superiority complexes when it comes to my classmates. Intimidation of their skill is now practically non-existentYour weekly drawings no longer fill me with dread, in fact, I cannot wait for the weekend, where I can sit and draw that object for three hours.
Three hours I sat, perched upon cold porcelain, my toes freezing and my back aching as I leaned forward. I laughed at your hard bound book, and your many blank pages. I mocked you as lines came together to create the forms I saw in front of me. You deserved everything you got.
I've wasted a month, cowering in the 'shadows' of my classmates, which really only existed in my head. I've feared my inability to reach perfection while they all surpass my minimal skill. Not any more.
I refuse to be intimidated.
I refuse to believe I can never be as good as they are.
And now, I refuse to take less than 2 hours to draw something Ancient Egyptian.

Sincerely,
Sarah

1 comment: