Saturday, May 7, 2011

Branching Out to a New Material...


Wood.
Haha, get it? No? Branch, wood, comes from trees, with branches? Yeah, I know, my jokes are lame. Anyway...
My school is having it's annual art show in two weeks, and I'm really excited for it, because I get a whole 4' x 8' board in it. For some reason I've decided I'm going to finish an idea for a 3-d piece before it starts. This is my first time trying to carve wood. I used a scroll saw, and am now using steel carving tools. My wrist is numb and my tall socks are full of wood shavings, but I'm hoping it will turn out well. I basically have no clue what I'm doing.
So far, I've sliced open the tip of my left thumb. I shall be keeping a tally of wood & wood tool induced injuries. If all goes well, I won't injure so many fingers that I lose the ability to type. Now, I'm going to go find some blood-free sand paper, and try to work on it a bit.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment