Saturday, March 21, 2015

Happy Spring!

To celebrate the first day of spring, I spent a couple hours walking the Erie Canal right before sunset. It was good to get outside and move, and I saw so much wildlife, I was definitely more excited than I probably should've been. It's the first time in forever that I've spent more than 10 minutes outside for fun verses to shovel snow. Plus, I've been so stressed out worrying about what to do for my future, it was so relaxing to not think.

I received a Tamron 70-300mm lens for Christmas and hadn't really gotten the chance to use it for any amount of time yet. The only photos I really took with it were my mother from across the room to annoy her, and out the window on a 45 minute drive to visit a pregnant friend of mine. I figured taking it outside would be a fun way to get to know it better.


 Admittedly I was out a bit longer than I should have, considering it was about 37 degrees while I was outside, but I couldn't help myself. It was just so nice to be out. I wasn't the only person walking the canal either, there was at least half a dozen people walking and two bikers. It makes me so excited for when it does warm up, and we can start biking again. Especially since I now have this awesome lens, so I can capture the deer that we'll inevitably see.

 My main goal for walking was to try and capture the colours as the sun set. Rather quickly I was distracted by all the birds. The normal geese and sparrows, plus robins and pigeons. I even saw a hawk which I was really really really excited to see so close up. There was also a fox on the other side of the canal, moving slowly enough for me to get a photo of it to show the Boy. Basically all the animals were out and I was excited.

Rippling water is also one of my favourite things to photograph. The funny shapes and movement are fun to capture, and today was no exception. I quite enjoy photographs that are such a small piece of something that you can't quite tell what that something is, and moving water is a really great way to do that. This shot I got is of the shadows caused by bridge supports, and it just looks so much like it it's a photograph, and I really dig it.

Anyway, thanks for reading and looking at my pictures!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment